Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Super8 Newbie

  1. #1
    Inactive Member mattse2003's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17th, 2002
    Posts
    18
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    Hello all,
    I just got a Minolta 660-XL from eBay I have put batteries in it and got my film (K40) and it seems to run great and I am ready to start shooting. My question is I am gonna have my film transferred to DV for editing on my computer so I will have to do a telecine will I need to get it processed before hand and then send it to a telecine or does the telecine develop it also? Thanks for any help I get.
    Matt

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Shooting Film is like being chaperoned when you date that special someone in your life...no instant gratification allowed.

    As a result, you learn to appreciate every aspect of the process. Opening the film box, gently tearing the foil packaging, smelling that fresh film smell, putting it into the camera.

    This step by step process continues even after you are done filming. You would send K-40 to Dwaynes in Kansas.
    They will develop your film. It will come back to you developed.

    Your developed film can then be transferred via a myriad of ways. You can either project the image on a wall and videotape it with a video camera (not recommended) buy a relatively low cost video transfer system (either under $2,000 or under $1,000), but beware, you still need a high-quality monitor, the proper room ambience, a digital deck or digital camera to record the image onto, and some systems have to have the recorded image speeded up to the right speed (no big deal if you have the right editing set-up), or you can have a local transfer facility transfer the film via a couple of ways.

    One way is called rank cintel transfer, this is considered the highest quality way to transfer your footage, and a select few transfer faclities in the country offer this service, they charge between $150.00/hr to $350.00/hr, depending on where you go.

    You may have a place near you that will transfer the footage to your satisfaction so you don't have to dread having to ship it somewhere. (you've already had your film shipped to Kansas and back, the more it's shipped, the odds of something going wrong microscopically go up, probably not enough to worry, but there is always a chance of film being lost)

    I recommend that if you have a facility transfer your footage, that you attend the very first time you have your film transferred. The learning experience is soooo useful and will help save you money in the future because you learn about things like what splices to use, kinds of reels to put your film on (unless they do it for you for a nominal charge).

    More importantly, you'll probably learn about some useful technical issues like what a waveform/vectorscope is and how it's used to monitor your film transfer session. They may teach you about underscan and crosspulse features found on all high-end professional monitors.

    Try and get a flat rate for your transfer session so you don't end up paying extra for the time spent yapping!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member mattse2003's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17th, 2002
    Posts
    18
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Alex,
    Thanks for the reply. I was pretty sure that I would have to get them done seperatly but I wasnt 100% sure. I was dreading shipping my film twice for those reasons so I am gonna look for a transfer house somewhere close. And the home transfer is way to expensive for me....Maybe one day..Look forward to lots of questions from me...ha

    Matt

  4. #4
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hopefully within the next day, someone will suggest a place in Texas for you to consider, I believe there are a few.

    You may want to start another topic post called "Looking for a Texas Super-8 Film Transfer".

  5. #5
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    For a very good quality transfers to DV tape in Texas you can look into this link below.

    http://www.moviestuff.tv/transfers.html

  6. #6
    Inactive Member hmc4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 19th, 2002
    Posts
    42
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just go to
    http://www.bonofilm.com/
    they do it all in one place and for a good price. And they put it on mini dv

  7. #7
    Inactive Member mattse2003's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17th, 2002
    Posts
    18
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Maybe I didn't look hard enough but I dont see Kodachrome 40 on Bonofilm its all B&W and Ektachrome.....
    Matt

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If you're just getting the film processed and not telecine-transferring right away, you can take your super 8 to Walmart, and they send it to Dwayne's in Kansas for $4.88! If you send it directly to Dewayne's, it will cost you 9.00 plus 3.00 to ship...I hate going to Walmart due to the crowds, but that is too good of a bargain to pass up! Mike

  9. #9
    Inactive Member mattse2003's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 17th, 2002
    Posts
    18
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Did you just say $4.88? Thats a good deal do all walmarts do that, that you know you of? Thanks for the info.
    Matt

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •